Appledore Local History Society
Appledore Local History Society meets on the second Thursday of each month, at the Methodist Chapel to review and discuss items of interest either from our archives, or items that have been newly presented to us for examination, digitised recording and return, or permanent safekeeping.
We organise talks on subjects of local historic interest and visits to places of historic importance for our Members and Non-Members. We also arrange occasional Open Days to display items from our archives for review and examination by members of the public. Monies raised through these events, along with donations and grants, pay for our running costs and local projects that we undertake on behalf of the village. We also undertake assignments on behalf of people seeking to learn more about their family history as relates to Appledore, or the history of specific Appledore properties .
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the history of Appledore and the surrounding area.
Aims and Objectives
Appledore has a rich and interesting heritage which goes back centuries. It complements the landscape in encouraging visitors and tourists to the village and provides a link for the current villagers to their predecessors.
The aims, objectives and obligations of the Appledore Local History Society are:
· To provide a focal point for the regular gathering of local residents interested in the history of the village and surrounding areas
· To facilitate the collection, collation and sharing of information and artefacts and to provide a repository for the benefit of future generations
· To build an extensive archive that might be developed into a local Appledore Heritage Centre
· To welcome and inform new residents of the history of the village and surrounding areas
· To provide visitors to Appledore some basic facts that will enhance their knowledge of the village
· To establish heritage trails that will enrich the enjoyment of tourists to the village.
For more Information on the group and updates on their activities visit their website here
Chair Brian Knight 01233 758319
Secretary Jo Killick 01233 758405 E: firstname.lastname@example.org